Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Smelly washer?

We've all smelled mildew before, right? It has to be one of the STINKIEST smells around. *gag*

I have an older model top loading washer. It works great. It was here when we moved in a year and a half ago. I don't think it's too old, it was in good shape it just needed a little cleaning so I scrubbed it out when we moved in. Since then, I have regularly wiped it out and sprayed it with OdoBan. That worked pretty well for awhile but recently the washer was starting to get a little stinky mildew smell. Well, I definitely wasn't having that! I want our clothes to be fresh and clean!

I do a lot of laundry. A LOT!

Not my washer. I didn't feel like going downstairs to take a picture. Image via Google.

So to remedy the smelly washer this is what I did...

Filled the washer tub with hot water, stopped washer from agitating, then I took a 2 liter bottle and filled it with hot water about 3 times to fill the tub all the way to the top after the washer stopped at the "fill line".

Added 4 cups of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of baking soda and turned the washer back on for a minute or so.

Then I turned it off and let it soak for a few hours.

Then I took a scrubby sponge and scrubbed the tub, around the rim and the lid. I think a toilet brush would be useful for this, a CLEAN toilet brush not used for the toilet. ;) But I didn't have one so I just used a sponge.

I got lots of gunk out. Not as much gunk as the first time but plenty of gunk for me to say EWW

Then I just let the washer finish the cycle.

Guess what?

My washer is nice and fresh now! Yay!

Just thought I'd share this tip in case you have a smelly washer. I *know* I can't be the only person left with a top loading machine. :)

Happy washing!

3 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

Unfortunately I had to do something similar with my front loader as well so you're better off with a top!
There's even some class action lawsuit with front loaders and their mold growth issue among other problems.
I've had mine for 4 years now and it's been serviced too many times. I never had my top loader serviced ever.
It does smell better when I use vinegar and leave the door open. I'll add baking soda next time!
Thanks!

pollydove said...

My own washer died several months ago and I REALLY couldn't afford to go get a new one, so I got a used one (older than the one that died - so tragic), but it does work well and doesn't stink ... yet! Now the grimey gunk around the edges of the washer - THAT'S what drives me crazy!

So GOOD tip about the toilet brush scrubber. I hadn't thought about that one! ;)

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I had that same thing to happen. It was suggested to me that I fill the tub with hot water, add a cup of bleach and run the load (without clothes and without detergent). It did the trick! Linda