Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving (or any party) Appetizers/Hors d'oeuvres

I totally had to look up how to spell hors d'oeuvres (did I get it right?). My dad calls them "ordy-orves". HA!

After throwing Layla's party on Sunday, I thought I would post some of my favorite appetizers/hors d'oeuvres just in case you needed ideas. They are pretty basic, nothing earth shattering but sometimes someone will post an idea like this on a blog and I will think "oh, why didn't I ever think of that?". Then Amanda posted that she needed ideas for Thanksgiving since she's hosting her very first Thanksgiving (yay, Amanda!) so I thought I should definitely post this.

First are my "famous" tortilla roll-ups. Everyone always requests that I make these. These are turkey, cheddar, bacon ranch and salami, mozzarella, cream cheese mixed with dry Italian dressing seasoning. You can make these with just about anything. They are so easy and so yummy. If you want instructions, please comment and I will post the instructions.


Next is a very simple dip that I came up with one time when I had to take a snack to a friend's house. I didn't feel like going to the store so I used what I had at home. The first time I made this I actually made tortilla roll-ups out of it. Now when I make it we just use it as a dip. It's SO simple and I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. haha! All you do is soften a block of cream cheese, add a small jar of salsa to it and whip it up with your mixer. We like ours best with Ritz crackers but it's also good with tortilla chips. To make it look pretty you can add green olives or jalapenos to the top. Everyone always chows down on this when I make it, they ask what it is and I laugh because it's so easy.


This one is a no-brainer. I almost always serve veggies and dip or if you want to be fancy call it crudite. :) It's easy and yummy and it looks pretty on the table.


And lastly, we have fruit with dip. Normally I make fruit dip with marshmallow fluff and cream cheese. And it is SO good. It is sinful. I could eat it with a spoon. Regina doesn't like marshmallow fluff though so we made this dip instead. It's vanilla yogurt and Cool Whip. I think it's just as good, maybe not as sweet but it's definitely healthier. We also used light yogurt and light Cool Whip to make it even more healthy. All you do is thaw the Cool Whip and mix it with the yogurt. We served it with apples, grapes and bananas. I liked it best with grapes. I was told it was delicious with bananas but I don't like bananas so I didn't try it.


So there you have it, some of my favorite easy appetizers. 

I am linking up with Amanda at Serenity Now.
Serenity Now Thanksgiving Recipe Round Up

And linking up with Jen's Tasty Tuesday party.

7 comments:

the cape on the corner said...

great ideas! i'm looking for something to take for thanksgiving...i was going to attempt to bake something, but it'd be cheaper to buy a dessert! still unsure what to do, but i'm loving your salsa and dip combo!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Thank you for the awesome ideas, Carmen!! :) I always like to have apps on Thanksgiving Day...otherwise we get too hungry. ;)

Southern Fried Gal said...

Great ideas - those roll-ups sound divine! I know they would be a hit with DH, too! Thanks for the share!

Wendy said...

Instructions please! I'm going to make these for our Christmas Party. Everyone's bring appetizers. This will be perfect. Thank you for posting.

~The Robin's Nest~ said...

Thanks for the ideas... My family is big into ordy-orves. I wish they weren't because they always eat too much then don't want to eat dinner. But the majority always over rules Hors d'oeuvres it will be!

Robin~♥

Richella said...

Please post the instructions for the wraps! I've tried making wraps but they never taste quite right. I'd love to know exactly how you do yours!

pollydove said...

Looking at your pictures, I just have to say, not long ago you made a comment about how your photography has improved since you first started your blog, and I will agree! Not that I "knew" you when you first started your blog, but these pictures are fabulous! And it all looks so yummy!